Wednesday 16 March 2011

Good Friends and Good Food

This evening the three of us (myself, Yuko, and Fionnuala) met up to have a meal and to work on our origami cranes.  Yuko made a wonderful Japanese meal for us, fried tofu, aubergine, green beans with sesame seeds, and udon (I will have to get her to remind me how you say it all in Japanese again)!  Oh and we had some beautiful green tea, that she had sent to her from home.  Yum!

We then set to making some more origami cranes and stringing the ones that were made yesterday so they could be displayed with the others in our window.  After making a (small) amount (by our new standards) we went off to St. Thomas' Church in Crookes, Sheffield where some friends of ours from the University were meeting up with a lot of other people for a get together.  They kindly welcomed us in to hear about our initiative for the British Red Cross. 

In total they donated £57.25, but all told only asked for 30 cranes (some people took pre-made ones, others learned to make their own, and some people just took some origami paper to try at home)!  We really must bring some instruction sheets with us to our next outing, as everyone was really keen to learn about how they are made.  :)

Given our time out of the house we have fallen a bit behind on our crane numbers (I am calling this a 'crane deficit'.) but I think that you will all understand our position - it is only because you are all so good to us and have donated so much so quickly!  We will all work very hard during the rest of the week and over the weekend (I have a lot of long car journeys, so I have a feeling I can get quite a few done) in order to bring our numbers up (When we get to this stage, I shall be calling it a 'crane surplus').

Once we were at home, I hung up the strings with the cranes from yesterday.  I will post some pictures up tomorrow for everyone to see.  Thank you everyone for your support so far.  We have had a great response and tomorrow I will take some time to mention the things people have said and the gestures of support we have received from other people.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment