Thursday 17 March 2011

Worldwide Support for Japan

I just wanted to take a few moments to recognise the sentiments of support we have received from all over the world.  We have received donations not only from individuals from within the UK, but also Ireland, Spain, Canada, America, and more!  If you keep them coming in, then we'll keep on making origami cranes...  help us reach that goal of £1000!

We have also had a great response in the form of positive messages, via e-mail, telephone, tweets, comments, wall posts, etc.  There are individuals across our city, the country, and even other countries who are offering their help by spreading the word, folding origami cranes, and collecting donations.  We have even 'inspired' some others to begin similar fundraising efforts in their areas for their local Red Cross organisations.  I will post links to their sites, once they are up and running!

I wanted, also, to take a moment to especially thank the local stationary stores that have helped us out with contributions of, or discounts on, origami paper: WH Smith (Fargate and Meadowhall branches), Hobbycraft (Sheffield branch), and Carsons Stationary & Print.  We also had a great donation of absolutely beautiful paper from a friend.  We, literally, wouldn't have been able to do this without their support - so if you have some time please send them your thanks too!

There are a lot of great fundraising efforts happening all over the world and a few that have stood out for me are the impromptu concerts in London by violinist Taro Hakase and efforts to start raising money for the rebuiling of the most affected areas in Japan after the immediate rescue and recovery has ended by Play for Japan.  If you have a few moments to spare, take some time to check out their websites and what they have to say.

I am unsure if I will be posting our running totals over the weekend as I am away, and while I will have internet and mobile access through my phone, I am not sure that I will be able to get it all done.  But either way, I will be keeping track and it will all be updated for sure on Monday!  We will all be making more cranes during our spare time and hopefully that deficit will turn into a surplus by Sunday night.

Oh, and are you enjoying our new style blog, with full social networking accounts integration?  I am learning fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment